Cross Keys
2017/2018 Principality Premiership
Cross Keys 13 v 23 Quins
10 March 2018 - Pandy Park, Cross Keys
Carmarthen Quins

Match Report

Cross Keys 13 Carmarthen Quins 23

Cross Keys were unable to prevent Carmarthen Quins from extending their fine run in the Principality Premiership as the visitors claimed the honours at Pandy Park last Saturday, thus moving to the top of the Principality Premiership table.

it was Keys who opened the scoring when full back Josh Prosser kicked a penalty after a little under 5 minutes of play. The Keys lead lasted barely a minute when the Quins attacked immediately from the restart. An attempted clearance kick from Keys was charged down and Quins flanker Shaun Jones was on hand to crash over for his side’s opening score of the match with 5 minutes on the clock. Quins outside half Steffan Marshall added the conversion to further the visitors lead.

From here the Quins were able to dominate proceedings, using their powerful pack to good effect as the game opened up a little. Their forward domination told when, with 10 minutes on the clock Keys were penalised from a lineout and Marshall was able to add the resulting penalty to give Quins a well deserved lead.

Keys were really struggling to get going such was Quins dominance on a day where the game was always likely to be won by the team able to get on top up front and at the breakdown area. The Quins furthered their lead after 20 minutes after Keys had gone off their feet at a ruck, which allowed Staffan Marshall to fire over his second penalty of the game.

Keys had to continue to show resolve in defence as they continued to be under the cosh and had little opportunity to create chances for themselves as the half went on. Quins went further ahead just 5 minutes before the break as Marshall kicked his 3rd penalty of the game, having missed a relatively easy penalty moments before.

Half time Score Cross Keys 3 Carmarthen Quins 16

The Keys started the second half in a much better fashion but despite dominating the early stages of the second half they were unable to convert their pressure into points as Quins’ defence proved resolute.

The Keys were finally rewarded midway through the half when an impressive break from his own halfby Mathew Powell sent Keys forward in to the Quins half. Powell was eventually hauled down as he approached the 22 before a quick off load created space outwide which Josh Skinner exploited and released a scoring pass to replacement Nathan Trowbridge who chipped through and touched down in front of the scoreboard. Josh Prosser failed to add the extras from the touchline.

With just over 10 minutes remaining the Quins all but sealed their victory when they crossed for their second try of the game through replacement Rhodri Clancy. Quins set up a rolling maul on their first real visit of the second half to the Keys 22 and Clancy patiently awaited his chance to pounce over the line for the try. Steffan Marshall adding the straight forward conversion.

The Keys weren’t done and set about trying to grab something from the game as the game entered the closing 5 minutes. Keys won a lineout close to the Quins try line and the ball was quickly moved away from the attempted drive which allowed replacement Joe Thomas to break down the blindside of the maul and cross in front of the scoreboard. Josh Prosser again failed to add the conversion.

Keys did their best  to claim a further score in in the closing moments, which would have secured a losing bonus point but it wasn’t to be and Quins took a deserved win, based on their dominance during the first half.

Cross Keys Scorers:-
Nathan Trowbridge & Joe Thomas
Penalty: Josh Prosser

Carmarthen Quins Scorers:-
Shaun Jones & Rhodri Clancy
Conversions: Steffan Marshall (x2)
Penalties: Steffan Marshall (x3)

Keys Man of the Match: Leon Andrews

Attendance: 450

Official : Elgan Williams (Wales)

Cross Keys Quins